There is no better way to discover the recent history of Berlin than to see several films set in Berlin during the twentieth century. To make your holidays even more interesting, we suggest you watch some of these films about Berlin:
The best films to see before traveling to Berlin
- Good bye, Lenin! (2003): A proud communist woman has a heart attack and goes into a coma just before the fall of the Berlin Wall. Eight months later she wakes up and her son tries to hide the disappearance of East Germany to prevent her from having another heart attack.
- The Counterfeiters (2007): Set in the Sachsenhausen Death Camp, a group of Jews are made to counterfeit U.S. Dollars and Sterling Pounds. The success of their work could prolong the war and allow the Germans to win the war. In exchange, the forgers are given privileges, compared to the rest of prisoners.
- The Lives of Others (2006): A Stasi agent (the East Germany’s secret police) is given orders to spy on a prestigious writer and famous actress. The mission he is given deeply affects him.
Other films set in Berlin
- Summer in Berlin (2005): Two friends that live in a house in the former East Germany reflect on their lives and dreams.
- Berlin is in Germany (2001): Locked up in a prison for eleven years, a young man is released to discover that the Berlin Wall has fallen and that East Germany no longer exists.
- Sonnenallee (1999): A group of children try to remain oblivious to the military presence in Sonnenallee, a neighborhood located on the border with East Germany.
- Wings of Desire (1987): Two Guardian Angels fly over Berlin and the Berlin Wall, observed by children and a happy few. One of the Angels falls in love with a German girl and sacrifices his immortality to be with her.
- The Quiller Memorandum (1966): The British Service send the agent Quiller to Berlin to find out why two agents have been killed by a Neo-Nazi organization.
- One, Two, Three (1961): Set in West Germany, a soft-drink company executive wants to introduce his drink in East Germany, but has to look after an unstable 18-year old girl, who falls in love with a young Communist.